The Letter I Sent Them

Posted: September 3, 2010 in Letters and Documentation

May 21, 2008


University Behavioral Health

2026 W. University Drive

Denton, TX 76201

Dear Patient Advocate:

…some concerns regarding the treatment I received at your facility beginning on 1/26/08.

Yesterday I visited UBH, and requested and received a complete copy of my patient record. I was charged over $107 to obtain copies of these records, and payment was demanded in cash.  I also received an itemized copy of my bill, that indicates I owe money from an inpatient stay as well as outpatient services received.

Having reviewed both my records from Presbyterian Hospital’s Emergency Room, as well as the file from UBH, I find the following areas for concern.

1. There is zero proof that I ever participated in outpatient therapy at UBH, yet the bill claims that I attended therapy on seven (7) different days.

2. I cannot read the treating psychiatrist’s notes from my inpatient stay. Before I pay my bill I am requesting a transcript of all notes made by Dr. Atique Khan.

3. How was it determined that I was in need of 90 visits to AA? Who made this determination, and on what basis? Especially since I arrived late on 1/26/08 and slept most of the day on 1/27/08, I do not understand how such a determination could be made by 1/28/08 based solely on answers I gave at the E.R…

4. On several occasions during my stay, I asked MHT’s, Dr. Atique Khan, and Vania Small-Brown, about my treatment plan. Who was in charge of it, what was the goal, and what was the prognosis? Each time I asked, I was given no details, or, I was told that the “treatment team” was responsible and that I needed to ask them. I see all sorts of notes and paperwork in my file assigning various responsibilities to a number of “team” members, but never once was this information shared with me during my stay.

5. I requested to be released on 1/29/08, and Dr. Khan not only denied the request, but told my boyfriend that he was taking me to court to keep me at UBH. Dr. Khan told me I was not participating in treatment, according to the team. Yet, again, I was never told who the team was, what the team’s plan for me was (other than to admit I was an addict, which I was not, and to just sit there and take my klonopin and not ask questions), or, what I needed to do to prove that I was well enough to leave.

6. Even though I repeatedly asked Dr. Khan, and others, why I was being held for so long, after voluntarily admitting myself, I got no answers. I was never shown any of the pages that are now in my record, regarding goals, outcomes, etc. I did find it a bit disconcerting, that I was treated in the morning by attending “groups” that were run by college students hired as “mental health technicians,” and in the afternoon by quasi-AA groups that I never belonged in to begin with.

7. I realize my insurer negotiated a reduced rate with your facility, but even at the reduced rate, your inpatient facilities are absolutely appalling, and certainly no place I would ever want to be again. Nor would I recommend that anyone put their loved ones in your care.

The beds make camping on the ground look like a luxury. I walked into UBH with a history of chronic back problems that were not helped by the horrific mattresses provided. It took a doctor’s orders to get a basic mattress pad, and most other patients who had been there far longer than I was didn’t even know they were available.

The “closets” in your facility have no shelves. Other than one bedside table with one or two small drawers, there was no place to store clothing or personal belongings.

Basic first aid supplies were not available. I had an outbreak of seborreah and no one would even give me a tiny bit of hydrocortisone cream.

The food was in some cases disgusting, but especially so on the day that we found a mouse running on the cafeteria food bar. Every patient in my ward was there and saw it.

Other than a few board games and worn out books, there was nothing to do for recreation or stress relief. There were patients in the ward who had not been outside for weeks, other than to walk out into the tiny courtyard where smoking is allowed, or, out on the cafeteria patio.

8. On 1/30/08, I met with Randy, the chemical dependency coordinator, to discuss his conviction that I was chemically abusive. (He told me the first time we met that he was reasonably sure I was actually “dependent,” but that he would go along with the initial diagnosis). He otherwise spent very little time with me during my stay, other than to talk down to me anytime I suggested that perhaps I was not chemically dependent. (He did assure me that there was nothing to be ashamed of, since he himself was an addict, sober for “25 years and 6 months.”)

On this particular day I asked him to please explain to me why he felt I was an alcoholic, since I entered Presbyterian on 1/26/08 with no alcohol or illegal drugs in my  system. He responded that such a state was not uncommon, and I again asked him why he felt I was chemically dependent. His response was, “what about your legal problems?” and when I asked what he meant by that, he said I had been “arrested in the Wal-mart parking lot, drunk and high on phenobarbitol.”

I told him that was definitely NOT ME, and all he could tell me was to “calm down.”

I learned later that day that another patient in the hospital at the same time, named _____________, had indeed been arrested under such conditions. However, she looked nothing like me, was substantially smaller than I was in terms of weight, and, had brunette hair, whereas mine was blonde.

Once I was finally back home, my boyfriend told me he spoke to Randy on the phone while I was in the hospital, and my barbiturate use was also referenced in that conversation.  And, when (boyfriend) spoke to Dr. Khan, he also mentioned alleged illegal drug use.

9. I attach for your reference a copy of a note that I left for Dr. Khan, and the date and time that it was left. I personally watched the nurse attach it to the chart. When Dr. Khan called me in the following morning, he had zero knowledge of my questions or the note I had left. This clearly indicates that he had not reviewed my chart before meeting to discuss my progress. He went and got the chart and brought it back, and read the questions for the first time.

I pointed out to him that the previous day I learned that Randy had me confused with another patient. And, that every time I asked anyone a question, or showed any emotion other than total compliance and agreement, that I was ordered to “calm down” and in several cases offered more klonopin.

He immediately agreed to let me go home that day. He ordered a lithium test, which was the first blood work ever done at UBH in five days. But, I had already taken my lithium at 9:00 a.m. so as I understand it the test result was not valid anyway.

10. My discharge papers from Dr. Khan seem to state that I went to the E.R. initially for an attempted overdose (“attempted OD”)? At no time did that happen, which furthermakes me wonder if he and the other staff members had me confused with someone else the entire time I was at the hospital.

11. While in the hospital I made an appointment with Dr. Latif for follow-up after discharge.  Someone at the hospital unilaterally changed that appointment to some other doctor without ever telling me about it or asking my permission. I only found out when that doctor’s office phoned me with an appointment reminder.

12. Dr. Khan sent me home on klonopin, as well as lithium. I almost fell asleep behind the wheel of a car while on klonopin, and, was eventually taken off of it by anotherpsychiatrist. It was later determined by that doctor that I did not need lithium, and that I was, in fact, not bipolar.

I look forward to your reply, and ask that I receive one in no less than 10 business days from the date of receipt.

  1. […] just laughed at me.  He said, “Where do you think you are, a country club?”  As my letter pointed out, there was no recreation and no exercise, unless of course you count lighting […]

  2. Brandon says:

    I can’t help but laugh at the whole situation. It was a constant reminder of how I felt about the place I went. It was well written and you made valid points through out. I can completely understand your frustration as I have been in the same situation. The hospital I was at informed me as well that I was bipolar… funny thing is I have been seeing several therapist for years and none of them ever mentioned bipolar. The bedding in that place is atrocious and I really got a kick out your statement “The beds make camping on the ground look like a luxury.” because it is so true. Who can seriously get the proper rest in that place? Well, good luck with your quest for justice, but you have now been labeled.. or properly put “mislabeled”

    • ubhdenton says:

      Brandon, I’m sorry you went through that. It’s a real travesty of the mental health system in this country. And most people don’t realize it or think about it because they never use it. By the time they do, it’s too late.

  3. […] The Letter I Sent Them September 2010 1 comment and 1 Like on, 4 […]

  4. […] and behavioral health hospitals in Denton, Texas: Mayhill Hospital and UBH Denton.  After my experience at UBH I knew several doctors and therapists who said they would never use UBH again (at least not unless […]

  5. dce says:

    I have not had any problems with Chantix as all. As a matter fact i have been on it for two months and i have almost quit. The only thing i have noticed i have a very unusual cravings for Kentucky Fried Chicken its strange and i do not even like meat. Other than that i have had not problems at all. As for people being misdiagnoised by Psychiatrist/Councelers etc. That is true because my back ground is in Psych and i have seen doctors misdiagnois patients so may times i have seen them manipulate the patients and literally play mind games with them. There is one doctor in Atlanta that still does Electro Shock Therapy on his patients which is rare now days but this Psychiatrist only beleives in it for everything I have watched a friend go down hill ever since they started treatments and now he is 40 yrs old walks like frankenstien has no reflexes his family will not go to bat go to bat for him and the more he gets shocked the worse off he gets. As a matter a fact recently the hospital staff was instructed to hold him there and not let him out when he was called in for just a standard office visit. So yes they do trap you, he came to me scared to death. Most Psychiatrist has their own issues and i feel the reason they go into this field is because they want to learn to understand themselves and their own issues.

  6. […] CLICK HERE FOR MY LETTER (2008)!!! Tagged: atique khan, denton, malpractice, nightmare, Psychiatric hospital, richard kresch, shut down, suicide, travesty, ubh Posted in: Uncategorized ← Well well well…… LikeBe the first to like this post. Be the first to start a conversation […]

  7. Mylea says:

    I myself have thought of requesting records but if it is that much trouble I won’t even bother.

    • AngryPatient says:

      It is troublesome and expensive, but Mylea, you should get copies in case you need them in the future. Take a friend and a video camera with you to retrieve them. And take some cash to pay whatever they want for the records so they can’t deny them to you at the time you are there to get them. Video EVERYTHING.

  8. THIS HOSPITAL IS AWFUL! Treatment plans are awful- is all a profit scam. My husband was trapped in the ‘program’ that consisted of a fifteen minute meeting with a psychiatrist and lots of ‘alone time’ every day. When I tried to get him out, seeing that he wasn’t getting any help the hospital took us to court saying that my husband wasn’t safe to himself or others. They were obviously the only ones who felt that way since the Denton court system let him go free without a trial- shocked that they had taken these measures against us.

    DONNNNNN”TTTT BE FOOLED by the attentive take in staff- the program is a big scam!

    • ubhdenton says:

      Lindsey, I’m sorry your husband and you went through this. But, that is how they deal with everyone who has insurance. You had insurance, right? Had you been “self-pay” they would have let him go immediately.

Share your thoughts....

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s